View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #259
Evenstar

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
I did get the story correct, the papers also said that the water was cold..... Hardly cold in the middle of August, even after the rain. Had she not almost gone over the falls the locks would still be open. The water is not higher today then it is in the spring when the locks are open.
Did you even read the article I pointed to? You are trying to blame a kayaker for causing the situation, when she was apparently a victim of a dangerous condition, which was caused by the high water level.

This is a direct quote from the article: “The hand-operated lock used by thousands of boaters has become dangerous due to "high water levels in the Long Lake/Brandy Pond watershed area," according to the statement by the Department of Conservation.” . . . "Unusually heavy rainfall over the past few weeks" has contributed to "above flood stage water levels" in the lock, according to the report. High water levels have caused a stronger, more dangerous current and colder water. Those elements reportedly played a role in the incident Wednesday involving Emmons. The lock will resume normal operations when the water levels fall below flood level, the state noted.”

Quote:
I have at leaste used a kayak to try and see what all the talk was about. I found it to be extreamly boring and not for me. There is nothing that I am doing that is preventing you from doing what you want, when you want on the lake. The speed limit limits my enjoyment.
And allowing power boats to travel on NH lakes at unlimited speeds limits the enjoyment of many other boaters. And I have experience in operating a powerboat.

Quote:
I bet if you ever took a ride then you would realize that all your feers are unfounded.
My fears are based on what I have actually experienced on the lake – when high speed boats have violated my 150 foot zone – because they were traveling at unsafe speeds and did not even see our kayaks until the very last second. That is hardly “unfounded.”

Quote:
I find it interesting that the MP's on most lakes will say that the offshore crowd tends to be the most knowledgable and saftest boaters on the lake as a whole. . . . Yet again we are being singled out.
Actually sea kayakers have one of the best safety records of all boaters.

How are you being singled out? You are not being discriminated against. ALL powerboats that can exceed 45 mph will be affected by the speed limit.