View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #236
Audiofn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
And my point was that paddlers also raise a LOT of money for charities. I also showed that races can be run on lakes in NH that have a speed limit - all you need to do is obtain a special permit. So why couldn't an annual race be held to raise money? High performance boats could still go fast at such an event. All it takes is a little adapting.
Agreed that padlers also raise money. The dollar amounts being less are not important to me as I think that anyone out there working hard for a charity deserves a pat on the back be it 1 dollar or 100,000. The charities I would however think would disagree. Especially in this economic climate they need all the money that they can get.

Poker runs are NOT races. So they often times can not obtain the permit to allow for the unlimited speeds. I can not say for sure but I beleive that Lake George for example does not remove the speed limits for poker runs. We used to have a race up there. It was a great place to race but the company that sponsored it stopped and the race moved away. Also people that will enter a poker run will not enter a "race" as there is no insurance for a boat in a "race".

Again we can adapt. We will adapt to another location for the poker run that will allow us to run as hard as we want. So the local charities loose.