View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #219
Evenstar

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee View Post
. . . The kayaks were completely irrelevant in that discussion and you know it.
Look, chipj29 did not start this discussion in his post (#169). That discussion began way back in #139, with Little Bear's post. Here’s the direction of this thread from #139 on:

#139 – Little Bear made the statement: “The problem is that these kayakers seem to think that they are invincible and that they have inalienable rights to be on the lake, any place at any time.”

#140 – Bear Islander replied that kayakers “do have an inalienable right to be on the lake, any place, any time.”

#143 – ITD replied: “They do????? Where is this spelled out?”

#144 - Silver Duck replied that “Kayaks have the exact same rights as any other type of boat. NH law makes it very clear that the public is to have unrestricted access to the larger lakes, and does not differentiate between paddle craft, sail boats, or motor boats in that right to access.”

#145 – I replied that “A kayak falls under the definition of both "boat" and "vessel" in NH law:” and I quote where this was stated in the RSAs.

#149 – bigpasfan ask Bear Islander, “Kayakers and power boaters have co-existed for longer than all of us have been alive so why the kayakers want to make this an us versus them or a David vs. Golith just doesn’t make sense. . . . If the total number of boats do not diminish then by enacting a speed limit you actually lost.”

#151 – Turtle Boy replied: “you have to look at the impact of different kinds of boats on the lake and those who use it. Clearly the 500 plus horsepower boat roaring loudly around the lake at 70 MPH driven by an owner who feels Winnipesaukee is his private speedway has a much greater impact than the Boston Whaler with a family boating to Wolfeboro to get an ice cream cone. I'd take 100 of the latter over 1 of the former.”

#153 – Siksukr replied: “Love this logic.100 times more boats will have less impact?Wow,now there is clear thinking!”

#155 – I replied to Siksukr: “. . . it is what I call your "Lake Footprint." This is based on your boat's size X your average speed on the water X your length of time on the water.”

#162 – chipj29 replied to me: “So 100 "smaller" boats have less of a "lake footprint" than 1 "large, fast moving boat"??? There is no way that you can be serious.”

#164 – I replied to chipj29: “I'm totally serious about my formula, but the exact numbers will depend on the variables. Give me the footprint of a large boat and its average speed and I'll figure out how many of my sea kayaks it equals.”

#169 – chipj29 replied to me: “If there are 100 boats on the lake, each with its own 150 ft circle around it...how can that possibly take up more of the "lake footprint" than 1 boat with a single 150 ft circle around it?” . . . “So tell me again...how does 1 large boat have a larger footprint than 100 smaller boats?”

#170 – I explained how 100 sea kayaks could actually have a larger lake footprint than 1 powerboat.

So kayaks have been a very large part of this discussion. When chip first reply to me, about my "lake footprint formula", I asked him to "Give me the footprint of a large boat and its average speed and I'll figure out how many of my sea kayaks it equals.” Instead, he tried to take kayaks out of the discussion.