View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #31
longisland60

Default FreezeAlarm plus remote control thermostats...

I just noticed this thread come back alive...

I use two things for our lake home in Moultonborough and the combination works really well for our use:

1. I have a FreezeAlarm that will monitor the temperature and power situation within the house. Seems like many others use the same device with good success, too. And, yes you do need a phone line that still operates when the power is off if you want full protection. In the 6+ years that I have used the system, only once did I get a callout when the heating system itself had a problem. In all other cases, the callout was due to a power failure. I like the idea of using the cell phone as an alternative to a conventional phone line...

2. I have installed Aube thermostats, with a telephone controller module. These thermostats work like any other programmable thermostat, plus they have a feature that allows you to remotely call into the controller via the telephone and flip the thermostats from "vacation" mode to "comfort" mode (and vise versa). We spend every other weekend or so up at the lake in the winter and with this feature, I can call the house before we leave our other home and have the lake house nice and toasty when we get there. I usually set the vacation mode to 45 degrees to conserve fuel, and the comfort mode is the regular program. It works awesome; there is nothing like showing up late on Friday night without having to jump into a very cold bed.

Here's a link to a source for the Aube thermostats: http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Climate/Aube/

BTW, I run both the FreezeAlarm and the thermostat controller off the same telephone line. There is a way to set them both up so you can dial into one or the other.
longisland60 is offline   Reply With Quote