Thread: stonedam island
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
partsman

The island is quite remarkable actually. There are several walking trails out there. The dock is not long, but offers dockage for two boats anyway, (one on each side). The water is deep enough for most boats, just go in slowly.

Once on the island, you will find a pile of old ski poles that you can grab one or two of. These will aid your ascent on the trails towards the top of the island. The trails actually only cover about a third of the island. As you hike the island, you will find small signs pointing out the various trees and flowers that can be found on the Island. The descent back to the lake and the dock cam be a little treacherous, so sneakers are a real necessity. Alot of the island is still undeveloped (trailwise) and I believe somewhat privately owned.

My understanding is that the Rice family owns the Island and gave a conservsation easement to the Lakes Region Conservation Trust in the 80's. They still retain ownership but have pput the Island into a state where it can never be developed.

As far as Sally's Gut goes, I believe it was always a channel between the mainland and the Island. I do not believe it was dredged out. As a youngster in the 50's, we used to waterski through here. The old 15' lyman with the 18 hp Evinrude easily towed my brother or I through these narrows.

Probably not a good idea to try today !
partsman is offline   Reply With Quote