View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #15
MeredithMan

Default dropped him off yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
First, let me say that I would not want to be a school administrator, (public, private, college, etc), for anything right now. It is "lose-lose" and no matter what you decide, people will hate you.

My niece is a 1st grade teacher in MA. Her school is doing a weekly hybrid model. Half of her students will be in class and half will be remote learning. The next week, the groups shift...the home kids come to school, and the school kids learn at home. And so on, and so on...

My son is about to enter Junior year at WPI. Students can return to campus, OR do remote learning. If they decide to do remote, they can't go to campus. If they decide to do "on-campus", they have to have a negative Corona test that is being orchestrated by the school. Students have an assigned 30 minute slot on a given day to move their stuff into the dorms. They will then have an app on which they report daily their temperature and if they are having any symptoms. There will also be weekly Corona tests. Students are not allowed to go home till Thanksgiving and families are not allowed to visit. Campus cafeterias will be "take-out" only. Students have to wear masks, social distance, etc. Classes will still be virtual, with the exception of labs. STudents have been advised to bring bare minimum of clothes and supplies in the event they decide to pull the plug and send everyone home part way through the semester.
OK, so made the big drop at college yesterday. I have to say that of the 7 college move-ins I've done with my kids, this one was by far the least chaotic. Of course, this is due to the fact that only about 2/3 of the students have opted for "on-campus" learning, and the fact that they are spacing out the move-ins, rather than the typical cattle call of the past. When I hugged my son goodbye, he said, "well, dad, I'll either see you at Thanksgiving, or in a couple weeks when they pull the plug..."