View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #35
ApS

Arrow What to Expect...Be Careful Out There...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Although ApS frequently has misinformation from his news aggregators, his reference to oxygen readings from Samsung phones is correct ( mostly.) I honestly did not believe it, so Googled. Actually, Samsung has had the ability to measure oxygen saturation for several generations of its phones, using its health app. And measuring oxygen saturation may be useful for at risk people to know. However, as I understand, it is actually the older Samsungs that have this feature so before you go out and buy one, be certain that it is the correct model. We may now return to the political bickering. I do subscribe to the Xfiles “trust no one.” Or, better yet, the more optimistic Reagan “trust, but verify.”
The importance of determining oxygen saturation appeared in this Wuhan-virus sufferer:

Quote:
"My wife got it (works in retail big-box store). She has asthma and it hit her hard. Fever, horrible dry cough, shortness of breath, weakness, loss of taste and smell, severe confusion. Lots of water, pedialyte, multivitamin, vitamin c, and Ionix Supreme (super drink with lots of Zinc and other good stuff).

diagnosis was over tellehealth. This got her the medications she needed (albutorol, prednisone) but found out too late after 2 week self quarantine that she wasn’t getting paid leave because she didn’t physically visit a doctor. My work had me quarantine as well. Also, wife was so out of it that I needed to be there continuously to give her medicine and make sure she didn’t pass out or fall or start coughing uncontrollably, etc. My work paid me though (full pay!). Had been getting time and a half for all time at work, so not as much as if I had been at work though.

After 2 weeks, she was feeling great and returned to work. I tried to go back to work but they wanted me to stay home another week because I had had some symptoms and it had only been one week since no symptoms. Good thing too, as wife’s 2nd day back she called saying she had left early because couldn’t breathe. I picked her up and took her to ER. Symptoms were significantly worse. Endless cough, even worse shortness of breath, no strength. Oxygen 86 and blood Pressure 190/121.

Did multiple chest X-rays and lungs were clear but found that heart was enlarged. Did echocardiogram and full blood testing to rule out heart attack. No heart attack. Heart had been fine in echocardiogram a few months prior so it was definitely new. Believe it was enlarged from pumping so hard. Blood pressure was so high every time they tried to get a blood sample her blood vessels would burst. Eventually got her oxygen up and BP down. Took her home after 7 hours or so (I wasn’t allowed inside). Stronger Prednisone prescription and cough suppressant. Also another 2 week self quarantine and

Took her into ER again several days later because side of face was tingly/numb along with side of body. Worried about stroke. No stroke. Diagnosed as parathesia (aka “fizzing”). Took her home.

Unbearable pain (she has had tetanus, so her pain tolerance is incredible)in face and continuing symptoms after a couple days. Took her back to ER. Diagnosed as face/mouth/jaw opportunistic infection. Dr. was pissed because other doctors should have caught that. Took home after an hour or so. More medication including antibiotics.

Abscess formed near tooth so found and brought her to dentist for emergency visit. Had to get root canal. Took home again and scheduled regular appointment. Took medication for pain and swelling. Got better but then pain again and still “fizzing”. Found out she was allergic to anti-inflammatory medication. Stopped that and pain and “fizzing” gone.

Wife finally went back to work this week after the 2nd self quarantine (ended up being closer to 3 weeks due her relapse being in middle of week). I have been self-quarantined at home the whole time (work would not let me come back this but still full pay!) and they told me to stay at home this week as wel(with pay). Wife is exhausted but getting through work day. She is getting a follow-up echocardiogram today. Will find out what my work wants me to do for next week today or tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: