View Single Post
Old 07-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #11
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
It all goes to the ETF because we currently expend multiples of what the lottery nets.

If by some miracle the lottery net was greater than the demands of the ETF, the university system, or even private grants would be the other outlet as the constitutional restriction is only that it must go towards education.

I think that most think that the Lottery Commission commands every dollar of revenue toward the ETF (Education) without realizing that most of the revenue goes to pay the prize money. So while revenues may be in the billions, net is in the millions.

While the State does discount resident tuition... I think this is not the best idea.
I think we would be better off paying off a percentage of tuition each year that a graduate uses their extra education to advance NH.

If I pay off all of your tuition, and you move to another state, I get nothing on my investment in you.

It is like training an employee and watching them leave to another employer. The other employer didn't have the training costs... so they should in theory be able to pay more, as they have no investment to recoup.
In-state tuition is a major factor for any sponsor regardless of what state you reside.

What I’ve personally experienced, is that those attending and completing their programs at NH state colleges and universities minimally maintain roots in the New England region, supporting the regional economy. I’m fine with that given a regional population that is trending lower.