View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #9
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I suggest researching…

Inverter vs generator
Inverter might be preferred for cleaner power because everything has a computer in it these days.

Panel interface options
I can use any circuits I want as long as they don’t add up to exceed my machine’s capacity. That’s done with a panel interlock.

Gas or propane
Gas units need to be run occasionally and the gas replaced with fresh.

Mine works great!

There have been zero power failures since I bought it!
Ditto on researching.

The Generac portable generators are junk. I had one and could not believe how fast components just disingrated (hoses just rotted away in 5 years). I have motors that are 30 years old that were in better shape.

Like many things today, 90% of the generators are the exact same POS made out of the same factory in China. China does make some good stuff but it's had to know what is good quality.

The Dual Fuel ones are great. They produce slightly less power on Propane but Propane can sit for a decade and be fine. I rotate 2 tanks with the BBQ.

They burn cleaner and are quieter too.

There are propane conversion kits for some Gas ones, but I prefer the Dual Fuel. You might get stuck with not being able to get one of the fuels in an extended power outage.

Also consider if you need 240V to run a Well Pump. Typically available on the larger ones.

Do you really need 6500 Watt? That's pretty big. You don't need to run the whole house. If you have Gas or Oil Furnace doesn't take all that much. Nor does a Fridge.
I got away with a 3500 Watt no problem (no Well Pump), gas heat, gas hot water, gas stove.

As pointed out the Inverter Type are MUCH better. My POS Generac was the non inverter type. They have to run at fairly high RPM to get the voltage close. Regardless of load. The inverters will vary speed, noise and fuel consumption based on load. And they will stay at the correct voltage. Honda made the inverter ones famous. Unfortunely Honda doesn't make a Dual fuel or Propane one. But there are converter kits.

99% of the Inverter ones can't do 240V. I found just one and it's 10,000 Watts and $2500.00. I'm hoping Champion comes out with a smaller one.

Too much weight can be a problem too.

I also agree to seriously consider electric start. Unless it's a really small unit. 6500 watt is pretty big. Note that many electric starts need to have the battery manually charged, PITA.

Another thing to consider is many of the Inverter type can be paired. Two small units can put out the same power as one large one and much easier to haul around.

I got this one for MA, no longer available, but they have others similar. You'll see this one recommended on many web sites.

Dual Fuel, Inverter, Not 240V, Electric Start, Can be Paired

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FAWMMEY

This is the one I want for NH (which has a Well), but not so damn big and heavy.
Worried it has the same crappy Chinese motors that Generacs do.

Dual Fuel, Inverter, 240V, Electric Start, Can be Paired (only 240V, Inverter, Dual Fuel I could find).

https://www.duromaxpower.com/products/xp9000ih

Briggs and Stratton makes some smaller Inverter ones (copy of the small Honda ones). I'd trust their motors more than most, except for Honda.

Honda is by far one of the best, but they are 2-3x more expensive for the same features and they don't make a 240V Inverter nor have a dual fuel. If they did, I'd probably get a Honda. It would probably be $5000 for 5000 watts if they did.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post: