View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 07:30 PM   #22
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Neighbor who was an exectutive that worked for the telephone company stated that these calls could easily be stopped.
BUT
The lobbyists in Washington - work on BOTH sides of the spectrum.
The phone companies make money the more calls that are made.
My phone machine states the incoming callers telephone number. And some are 603.
These numbers are purchased then sold to the Asian/Pacific telemarketers.
The lobbyists know this but lobby US Congress to leave all alone.

All could be stopped. But those on BOTH sides of the aisle - take the lobby money to help them get elected or re-elected.

Is my phone company neighbor right or wrong on this?
It's possible. But I think more of it has to do with the lack of their understanding about what is going on behind the scenes.

I compare this to two customers I had when I first started in doors and windows. A gentleman came in on the weekend seeking a kitchen cabinet knob. We short staff kitchen designers on the weekend, unless an appointment has been made. He went to the designer not seeing a customer sitting in the chair and started to present his desire to purchase the knob. He didn't realize the designer was working on someone else's kitchen in the computer system and simply couldn't just ''break away'' without risking problems for the customer whose kitchen was being worked on. He didn't understand the behind the scenes.

I was able to order him the knob, because I wasn't busy. But, I made it clear, I am not a kitchen associate at best I could guess based on the sample he had. And once ordered, it could not be returned. We ordered, and I believe that it worked out.

Back then, I worked doors, windows, roofing, siding, and decking... I had that much time and not a lot of sales, so I was able to learn all those options well enough to be confident that I was laying out the options, pricing, and other particulars with the detail needed for the customer to make an informed decision. I attended hours of training and site visits on each category.

The kitchen designer had done so, but with kitchens and baths... lots of hardware and options with those.

I just got lucky with his order.

But the behind the scenes is the thing that takes so much time to absorb, and I presume that most congressional members cannot absorb enough information on every issue before them due to complexity and workload. At best they hope the staff can ''wing it''.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote