View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 02:59 AM   #15
panjumbie

Oh gosh, I get texts, several a week saying my netflix account (which I don't have) etc. has suspicious activity and if I don't reply will be cancelled/frozen/etc. Given that none of these accounts, even the ones I do have, know my cell number, they are obviously scams. And in any event, if I thought there might be an issue, I'd contact the appropriate business using the phone number/email I have on file, not any link that might be in a text or email.

I don't answer any call on my phones (house or cell) except a very few I recognize the name and number. The others go to my answering machine or voicemail. Very rare for any of them to leave a message, and if they do, it is obvious which ones are robocalls or spam. I'll call the legit ones back. And some of the unanswered ones keep calling every day at the same time or even several times a day. Ignored.

The town next to mine has a weekly newspaper with a police log. It seems every week there is one or two reports of someone, usually elderly, falling for one of these schemes. If they realize their error soon enough and report it to the police, the police often report that they were successful in stopping the loss.
panjumbie is offline   Reply With Quote