View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 08:50 PM   #31
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I’m a Gilford resident, and agree this structure does needs updating,. I’m in the belief of keeping renovations ‘basic’, we don’t need to build another ‘McMansion’ on the lake and have the taxpayers foot the bill.

Something to contemplate about this potential update and capital expenditure to the town and taxpayers…. I remember the ‘Big Dig’ in Boston was famous for cost over-rides, Its initial estimated cost was $2.56 billion, final cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of $14.8 billion. Initial cost estimates are just that, “Initial’, once the spigot is open, there’s no telling where it stops…..
You can always check the blueprints. I would bet after 50 years they will increase the size due to the increase in the Gilford population and not wanting to have to go back and renovate again in a few short years.
This will also change how the structure is done. ADA compliance can be done in many ways... some have low maintenance requirements, while others would need a lot of daily/annual maintenance.

Toilets and sinks that hang on the wall need more structure, but are easier to keep clean. ADA stalls need more room and greater structure for the supports. Self flushing toilets help avoid users that do not flush and can lower the amount of clogged toilets. Faucets that are touch/motion activated can help conserve water when left on by a user, and help prevent flooding.

Water shutoff systems can prevent a burst pipe from doing lots of destruction, and allow for an easy means to close down the building at the end of the season.

Though they could over do it... a lot has been learned in 50 years... and Gilford has most definitely changed. A good design could cover another 50 years or maybe even more.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote