Thread: Cyanobacteria
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 07:56 PM   #12
mowtorman

Default New invasive species

My posting from 8/24/20

"Cyanobacteria which is toxic and associated with ALS (see Mascoma Lake DHMC) is in Kanasatka this summer. Once introduced it thrives on Nitrogen and Phosphorus. Kanasatka is 9' above Winnipesaukee so where do you think it is headed? If you have good flow, low population and low animal populations you are obviously better off. Point is the lake is taking a pounding and without the opportunity to flush over the winter it wouldn't be much better than Lilly Pond."

So Cyanobacteria is established now in Winnipesaukee in 2021. I would bet the next invasive species in Winnipesaukee will be Zebra Mussels.

NH has avoided Zebra Mussels so far but won't be able to much longer as they are already in Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts. There is no way to combat them as they cluster on your dock posts and outdrives as the boat sits at the dock. They have not been the environmental disaster they were predicted to be. Many people vacationing bring their boats to both Lake Winnipesaukee and Lake Champlain. Many bass tournaments are held on both lakes. Many boats are launched off trailers very early before lake hosts arrive on duty to check for invasive species. It's like Lake Seymour in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont trying to hold off against Eurasian Milfoil.

It is not a matter of if it is a matter of when. The degradation of the lake will proceed as fast as we allow it to be loaded with Nitrogen and Phosphorus either from humans i.e. fertilizer or animals i.e. poop.

If you want to see a worst case scenario, take a look at the waterfront cottages in St. Albans Bay in Vermont. There is no way anyone would swim there, probably not even let your dog swim it's all full of reeds and algae and it stinks to high heaven on a 95 degree summer day. These cottages would have been highly sought after in their day and valuable, not so much now. Lake Champlain is a much different situation in that sewage overflows and it is also a superfund site from the coal gasification power plants years ago.

Without water quality you have nothing.

The picture below is St. Albans bay in the middle of a bg algae bloom.
Attached Images

Last edited by mowtorman; 08-19-2021 at 11:59 AM.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post: