Thread: Rain diverter
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 10:01 AM   #13
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The kick-out would be under the eave on the stoop, and on the sidewall of the dormer. It wouldn't hurt, but will not stop the water from splashing back against the siding once it hits the ground.

Sooner or later, you will need gutter the total length of the main roof.

The paint peeling under the window suggests that water may be getting behind the siding... and that something like a hydrogap or homeslicker was not used.
I can't tell from the photo if the clapboard was properly primed on all faces, or if it was properly caulked.
John, the worst rotting was at about the height of the window, right where you would expect water to spill from the entrance roof onto the siding. It wasn't as bad at ground level. I have stones next to the house to help with splashback (I hope it helps). The area where the dormer meets the roof seems less likely to send water to the affected area as it would flow straight down and out, less likely to the right. Still, you and Dick make a good point about the need for flashing where the roof meets a sidewall.

Yes, the new siding was primed on all faces. Did it myself, two coats. Yes, everything was caulked---I finally found a skilled handyman. This is a 1929 house, so other than this new siding, the rest of the house doesn't have any special waterproofing. The reason for what looks like peeling paint is that I've started scraping that wall to repaint the whole house. Gutters are on the to-do list.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote