View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 01:01 AM   #76
No-Mo-Shun

Default Cabin Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob
Hi folks,

I've been following this string, and I find it very informative!

Here's some things that may be more "Nostalgia" than "History" of Lake Shore Park, but they are some topics I haven't seen anyone mention yet, like...

Artists: I've just started a "collection" of original paintings by folks that have something to do with Lake Shore park. There was "Spike Larson", and I ended up with a watercolor last year. Now I want to add Bobby Steedman (Robert Steedman, now a watercolorist out of I think Gloucester), who I remember as a kid. Then there's Ralph William Williams, the "Breck Girl" painter - a relative of Carol's - who painted some gals at Lake Shore Park including my brother's former girl friend Cheryl Bates - but I doubt if I'll ever get one of his, as the Breck collection is in the Smithsonian! Anyone remember any other artists or painters, and where I can get my hands on some pictures?

Blueberries: Does anyone else remember that the blueberries used to seem more plentiful (say 50's and 60's) - and did anyone ever bring their berries to Armand the baker to have a pie made from your very own berries? I also remember my dad ready to drive away from the park with the family, but I had to be dragged out of the woods where I was getting another cup full...

Camps: I love remembering the old camp names. Durgins used to the "The Fivuvus". Puringtons were "Five P's In a Pod". Chase's were, and still are, "Chase Lounge". Remember "Tea for Two?" Others?

Looking forward to other people's memories!
Captain Bob, Our camp name was "Boerner's Korner". It was the 4th cabin from the fence at Minnehaha Beach.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote