View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 08:46 PM   #70
Captain Bob

Default Lake Shore Park ABC's: Artists, Blueberries, Camps

Hi folks,

I've been following this string, and I find it very informative!

Here's some things that may be more "Nostalgia" then "History" of Lake Shore Park, but they are some topics I haven't seen anyone mention yet, like...

Artists: I've just started a "collection" of original paintings by folks that have something to do with Lake Shore park. There was "Spike Larson", and I ended up with a watercolor last year. Now I want to add Bobby Steedman (Robert Steedman, now a watercolorist out of I think Gloucester), who I remember as a kid. Then there's Ralph William Williams, the "Breck Girl" painter - a relative of Carol's - who painted some gals at Lake Shore Park including my brother's former girl friend Cheryl Bates - but I doubt if I'll ever get one of his, as the Breck collection is in the Smithsonian! Anyone remember any other artists or painters, and where I can get my hands on some pictures?

Blueberries: Does anyone else remember that the blueberries used to seem more plentiful (say 50's and 60's) - and did anyone ever bring their berries to Armand the baker to have a pie made from your very own berries? I also remember my dad ready to drive away from the park with the family, but I had to be dragged out of the woods where I was getting another cup full...

Camps: I love remembering the old camp names. Durgins used to the "The Fivuvus". Puringtons were "Five P's In a Pod". Chase's were, and still are, "Chase Lounge". Remember "Tea for Two?" Others?

Looking forward to other people's memories!
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote