View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #68
carguy

Default Fishing in the 1940's off of Lake Shore Park

Billy B.,

Chet Fox passed away a number of years ago. His widow, Dottie, used to be the secretary of the local New England Antique and Classic Boat Society. The family has a beautifully restored Gar Wood Triple Cockpit speedboat.

Back in the late 1940's and early 1050's, the Fox family had a black garwood with a hardtop, I think Gar Wood called it the Limousine model. The boat had a red painted bottom and it was a beautiful looking boat with the black hull and red bottom. That boat or possibly their current boat was named the "Marilyn" after Marilyn Fox.

Their boats were kept in the white boathouse along the shore just west of Ellacoya State Park. I remember peeking into that boathouse many years ago and the boat that I believe is their current mahogany Gar Wood was sitting in a state of disrepair having been vandalized. I saw the boat at the last Classic Boat Show that I attended at the Weirs in 1998, and it was beautifully restored. The annual boat show is now held in Meredith, usually the last weekend of July.

I was up at Lake Shore Park this past weekend, and I gave a talk to an audience of about 50-60 people when I showed the DVD that I had made up of 8mm movies that my dad took at the Park from 1947-1952.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote