Thread: Surveyor
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2022, 10:46 AM   #14
Lake Fan

Hard to say how long that job would take without knowing the scope of the project and the lot conditions. A couple of days in the field would most likely be enough for the boundary and topographic (elevation changes) surveys, but there is also research, drafting, etc. that needs to be done, plus maybe another day to set pins and the property line stakes they are proposing after the initial field work is complete. The fact that he's in southern NH adds travel time and expenses to his fee.

I would clarify the deliverables with the surveyor to make sure you're getting all you need.

I have heard of surveyors in the Lakes Region telling potential clients that they were not taking on any new work, and were talking about backlogs of a year. I've been through several development booms in my career but have never seen a market like this. Maybe I should get a NH license and put the boots back on...

Best of luck with the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
That is a good question that I have yet to ask but I’m almost certain that it doesn’t include what I need since one of the primary components I need is elevation changes so the architect/builder can help me with driveway approach and structure placement/design. The description in the proposal says:

XXXXX will provide the time and materials necessary to prepare a Standard Property Survey. This includes research, location of physical features, preparation of a survey plan and installation of missing property corners for the above referenced property. The survey plan will show the property lines, property corner markings, existing improvements, such as buildings, driveway & roads, fences, above ground utilities, etc, on or near the subject property and be in a format that is recordable at the Carroll County Registry of Deeds. Property lines will be marked with wooden grade stakes and flagging. A mid-point survey pin about 200 feet on each sideline will be installed. Upon completion of the survey, we will provide copies of the plan. XXXXX can also provide you with the necessary materials for recording at the Registry of Deeds if needed. Or, if you prefer, we can record the plan for an additional fee of $200 (not included in this estimate). This plan can be used to add a proposed house for aiding in obtaining a building permit.

Estimated Fee:
The estimated fee for the above-described services is approximately $5,400.00 based on time and materials.

As someone who has worked in this industry can you give me your opinion on a couple of points?

1) Based upon the above cost structure what do you estimate this surveyor will charge to do elevation changes? I’m afraid to learn this number since he is charging $5,400 to basically stake a lot that has 4-pins in place, is bordered on one end by a rock wall and the other end by the street. The surveyor has done work in the development and I have never heard of any boundary line issues in the development and I’ve been there a long, long time.

2) How many hours/days do you think a typical job like this takes? I can’t imagine it’s more than three unless something unexpected arises and obviously his proposal is open ended to account for unanticipated problems.

The good news is he will do this in the next 12-16 weeks which makes sense since it is a highly lucrative job. I’m not sure how much I’d save by going back to the market but I’d certainly loose 6-12 months of time. The surveyor is from southern NH so I’m sure this isn’t an ideal job for him thus the high pricing.

Any thoughts you can provide would be appreciated.
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Fan For This Useful Post: