View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #23
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park Memories

Gravy Boat:

I remember they had a dixie cup dispenser mounted on the wall of the pavilion front porch near the store entrance. It cost 1 cent for a dixie cup. That artesian well water from the pump was terrific tasting water, long before the days of Poland Springs bottled water.

Just this past week I sent two 6" 8mm movie reels off to get made into DVD's. One of the reels was labled Lake Shore Park 1948, and the other one was LSP 1952. I have not seen them in years. My father was the cinemaphotographer. When I get the DVD's back, I plan on editing them and getting together with SteveA for a showing, possibly at the Park.

Speaking of the pavilion front porch, that is where the phone booth was located. Back in the 1950's, that was the only phone that I can remember being in the Park besides the business phone in Doris Jone's office. Can you imagine getting along all Summer without a phone? especially these days when everyone in the family over 12 years old has a cell phone. Oh, yes those were the simple days.

In 1959 my parents bought the Hamel cabin which was located down near the waterfront in the area of the flagpole. It was one of the first cabins with a built-in toilet. Back in those days everyone "went over the hill" to the "john".

As I am writing this it is a beautiful clear cool Summer morning here in Connecticut. It reminds me of a late Summer Saturday morning at LSP. I can smell Armand LePage's coffee rolls right now. Those were the best tasting coffee rolls.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote