View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #26
mas1992bc

Default In water test would help

I won't comment on the feasibility or the cost of an in-water test, but it most definitely would make a difference. 17 years ago, I was a first-time boater and I can remember learning as much as I could and looking at charts. The written test is not all that useful (and easy to pass with a little memorization).

As all of you know, driving a boat is very different than driving a car - ESPECIALLY when it comes to docking or maneuvering in tight spaces. It is VERY easy for a novice (or even someone with some experience) to panic in a tight space and "gun it" - not because they don't care but because they are scared and they panic.

Even if the "in water test" just forced a new driver to get a feel for a few basic, but essential skills, it would be helpful. For example, the process of "stopping" a boat by slowly and patiently using forward and reverse, and maybe navigating around a few markers placed in an area where you can make a mistake and learn from it.

Everything on the water has more impact than a new boater thinks it can (a light breeze can push you quickly, a "small" wave can impact you more than you think), etc.

I know you all know this already - but taking a written test teaches you NONE of this. As someone else said, even after 17 years, I find myself in situations where I have to remind myself not to panic and go SLOW and think carefully. It is not easy.

My 2 cents.
mas1992bc is offline   Reply With Quote