View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #25
MeredithMan

Default (not so) Funny Witches Story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
No disagreement there.

If you had never been to the lake, and I showed you The Witches and all the buoys around them, you wouldn't believe it if I told you countless boaters have hit them.
So my father grew up on the ocean, (Hough's Neck in Quincy), and spent his youth till early 20's sailing around Boston Harbor. Then came WWII and he spent a number of years in the Navy. Bottom line, he was experienced when it came to Ocean navigation and markers, but when he bought his first boat on the lake in 1974, he was clueless on NH inland waters navigation and markers. We had just passed the end of Governor's Island heading towards The Broads. My mother and I were in the front of their new 18' Wellcraft bowrider and my father was driving. I was 12 at the time. My mother and I happened to suddenly notice all the huge boulders below us and screamed, "ROCKS!!" My father slammed it into neutral. When we all put our hearts back in our chests, we paddled our way out of The Witches. The only thing that saved our bacon was that it was early May and the water was high.

That was our major life lesson on Winnipesaukee navigation!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post: