View Single Post
Old 04-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #30
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
First, THANKS to all for all the great responses !!!!
I started to my own research before hearing feedback, and have come to the same conclusion several others have also made.

Oh, I didn’t say what tires I’m replacing…. General Altimax RT43… they’ve been a so-so tire, but they’re rated for 70k miles,
and I have 45k now and should be replaced. I was actually told by Town Fair Tire could get another 10k miles more if I wanted to stretch it, but have decided to purchase new at this time. This is our main family car, and want to feel safe ! Because of the mileage the Generals have given I wouldn’t buy them again.

I have been a customer of Town Fair Tire for over 20 years, and they have provided excellent service and pricing. They also provide a free from-end alignment when you purchase tires, that’s a bonus !However, you may wait all day for your car to be serviced, as they have a ‘first-come’ first-serve policy, and not sure I want to spend all day in Concord, for the free alignment gimme.

That said, I think I’ll just head on over to BJ’s in Tilton, it’s only 20 minutes from the house. They offer basically, the same type service, with the exception of the alignment. In the past I’ve got my alignments at Stratham Tire in Laconia, and have been great. I will call Stratham Tire for pricing as well.

My research based on my car and needs have narrowed my tire search down to the following.
Yokohama Avid Acend LX (Made in U.S.)
Yokohama Avid Acend GT (Made in Phillipines-This said I would buy U.S.)
Michelin Defender
and the Sleeper in the pack goes to… wait for it…. wait for it……
UNIROYAL TIGER PAW TOURING H or V Speed rated
Rated best in category including WEAR, NOISE, SNOW etc
(Side note: Was told that Michelin manufacturers Uniroyal tiger paws)
Uniroyal has IMHO always been underrated and overlooked by consumers.

Hankook Kinergy ST still would be on my list but at bottom of others mentioned, these tires are made in Korea, but this company is a leading edge technology when designing tires. These tires give a lot of bang for the buck !

Yokohama Avid Touring S would be on the list also but Tire Rack rating indicate that they are not great in snow/ice. If someone can contradict that, I would like to hear your feedback.

Based on the above comments, my first choice would be 'Yokohama Avid Acend LX (Made in U.S.), and #2 UNIROYAL TIGER PAW TOURING.

I'm sure Michelin's are top grade, but so is their pricing, so for that factor nixing !

So if folks can give me there feedback on my comments would be greatly appreciated !
Of your Two Top choices I don't think you can go wrong. Do to my past experiences I would vote for the Yokohama, we have been very pleased with the product, as previously mentioned.

I have had Uniroyal Tires on other vehicles I have owned, and they hold there own.... Another tire brand that is often over looked is Cooper.... Before Yokohama, Cooper was a favorite of mine. The only issue has become price... Cooper are expensive........

While we are on the subject of tires, for others reading this thread... Beyond my wife's subaru, I have a Silverado... the go to tire there is the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A..... I have put them on my trucks now for over 10 years..... always get the promised treadwear and even better usually... Another great tire....