View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #10
loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
IF you are also getting wheels, the Tire Rack will mount and RoadForce balance your tires for no extra charge and includes 2 years free road hazard coverage. The tires/wheels arrive all set to be put on the car.

If tires only, I go to Belknap tire because they do RoadForce balancing. Don't forget an alignment if you haven't had one done recently. Note that RoadForce balanced and properly aligned tires not only run smoother and last longer, but, IMO, tend to ride quieter as well.

Two of your requirements, good in snow and quiet, may be in conflict. Grippier tires tend to be a bit noisier, if not when new, then as as they age. On my truck I have Michelin LTX M/S. Good snow traction but a bit noisier. I don't do a lot of long haul drives with the truck so that is fine. When I had an SUV, I would put summer cruising tires on it and gripier snow tires in the winter. It is my OPINION that all season tires just don't cut it around herein the winter. I get a separate set of wheels for my snows so the tires don't have to be remounted every year. I go with a high rated (Tire Rack) Michelin summer performance tire (for an SUV it seems to be the all season Michelin Primacy A/S) and the Michelin X-Ice (SUV) for the winter. Yes, it's more expensive to have the two complete sets but if you want the best for the each season, that's the way to go.

The Primacy IS an all season tire so it "MAY" be sufficient in the snow but I have no experience with it. These kinds of questions tend to depend not only on the tire but also the vehicle it is being put on. One SUV might be good with the Primacy but another SUV only marginal.
I recently purchased tires at town fair tire for my miata. They were not able to get them properly balanced after taking the car back several times and even after replacing 2 of the tires because they were out of round. They finally offered to sell me a different brand of tire. I have to give them credit for being so patient trying to solve the problem. I ldiscovered that road force balancing is recommended for this car which town fair tire does not do. I finally gave up and went to a local shop that specializes in tires. Turns out that the rims and the tires had balance indicators that were ignored. The car is significantly better but Not 100%

Good to know belknap tire does road force balancing. I may take it there
loony is offline   Reply With Quote