View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #28
CooperS7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I don’t believe this is true having talked with several marinas. the gas is treated. I’m not positive but I would think selling 87 octane Out of an 89 or 93 pump would be illegal.
The EPA and the FTC govern octane ratings using the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act, and it is in fact illegal to sell fuel which does not match the advertised characteristics (both octane ratings and additives).

At the state level, under the Department of Agriculture, the Weights and Measures Division certifies and enforces that the pumps are providing consumers with a quantity of fuel that matches the quantity they are being charged for. Again, another area where it is illegal for filling stations to charge for a quantity other than what is being delivered.

I am certain both happen on occasion but truly believe those instances are the exception to the rule. Furthermore, when it does happen Id venture a guess that it is most often NOT due to malicious intention on the filling stations part. The legal repercussions far outweigh any short term monetary gain, and the damage of reputation to both the filling station and supplier has the potential to cause substantial long term loss.
CooperS7777 is offline   Reply With Quote