View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #27
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
A lot of things are illegal but the problems only occur when someone gets caught.
For years people used heating fuel with no road use tax in diesel vehicles. That became a little more difficult when they started dying the non taxed fuel so you could tell the difference. Now the fine is $10,000. (but it is free if you don't get caught).

I understand what you are doing to be sure that you don't have any problems. But, I average 200 to 350 hours per year in boats or jet skis and pay no attention to treating the fuel except for Sta-Bil in the last tankful for anything that gets winterized.

I use whatever fuel is available from marinas (and gas stations on the road when the boats are on a trailer) and have never had a fuel related problem. That has worked well for over 50 years.

I sometimes wonder about all the hype and discussion regarding treated fuel. But I could be wrong.
To clarify, I don't treat EVERY tank of fuel in my seasonal toys, (boats, snowmobiles, motorcycles) when they are in the prime of the season, and getting used frequently. I just treat the first and maybe the second tank till i'm comfortable in knowing that the old fuel that sat in storage is used up. After that i just run straight fuel through them till the end of the season, and then I make sure that there is plenty of stabilizer in the tank the last time i use it to make sure the stabilizer gets in the entire fuel system instead of just being in the tank prior to going back into storage, even if it's fuel injected. Very similar to what you do except I just use startron and k100, and I always try to get the highest octane possible. Also, I do agree with the skepticism of Marina fuel being treated with any type of stabilizer. I would never have peace of mind thinking that I can trust the Marina fuel to treat my fuel system. That's my job.

However, all my small engine stuff gets treated with every tank because i just put the stabilizer in the gas cans i use to fill them up. That way I don't have to try to remember what has been treated, and what hasn't. Everything gets treated with every fill up, ie: lawnmower, snowblower, weed whacker, chain saw, etc, etc. I have NEVER had to clean a carburetor in anything I bought brand new. I have had a couple issues with stuff I bought used, but once cleaned and running, have never had another problem with them after treating them with startron.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote