View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 01:53 PM   #48
YOLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natebz View Post
Thanks for everyone's response. It has been helpful. We currently live in a New England seaside town and experience (to a lesser degree) of seasonal crowds and a quieter off season. We are interested in the lakes region because it provides water activities like we currently have, but we are missing the hiking and mountains.

We currently have a close knit network of friends with children around the same age as ours and this type of community is something we find important. It sounds like, as much as we would enjoy living on the lake, we would have difficulties finding the community we have now.

Getting a house inland and a smaller property on the lake may be the balance we're after at this stage of our life.
I think you are wise at this point. If you were going to start a family living on the lake, the kids would be used to less social and neighborhood interaction, but as elementary school kids, its probably going to bore the heck out of them. I am a single widowed dad and recently bought on the lake with the intention of moving there as a primary residence once the kids go to college in 5 and 6 years from now.

They can come home in summer to the lake and have fun at an older age and since they will have licenses by then, they can visit their old friends as they see fit. I floated the idea of moving up full time immediately when I bought the house, but the kids absolutely did not want to leave their friendships and neighborhood behind at this stage in their lives.

Time flies, they'll be out of the house before you know it. You can live your dream. I love the offseason. I come up once a week by myself just to relax without the noise.
YOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YOLO For This Useful Post: