View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #45
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
It’s too bad that your life here hasn’t been what you expected, but if you wanted peace and quiet and a more sparsely populated area, why did you choose to locate in the Weirs? There are many locations that are much quieter.
Because we couldn’t find the type of development we are in anywhere else in the state (or even VT) in terms of a new or newish home that was affordable for us. We understood about bike week and figured we could tolerate that, and also that this is a big vacation area anyway, but we did not realize how noisy and in your face it can get the rest of the season and the extent of the crowds everywhere. C-19 I suppose didn’t help. I feel like in summer and fall if you want to enjoy where you live it’s not always easy with everything crowded and booked up.

VT is not like that. We were there last summer as always (staying at our timeshare resort for the week) and would go to a popular state park, for example, to use the beach on Lake Champlain. We were the only out of state license plate there. It was not crowded. No loud music on the beach. Just a few boats out on the water- sail boats. Peaceful. Big difference from here where every plate is from Mass. and tons of motor boats and beach packed with people. Music blaring in some cases. People cooking full course meals for a tribe. And that’s with restrictions for capacity. Lol! Just a different vibe.

Want to hike a trail here? Good luck even being able to park. And the trash? Omg. Lots of people being disrespectful. VT- not perfect but much cleaner from what I see when I’m there.

This all said- we moved here because our only child lives here and tax (and political) situation is better. And we like it- don’t misunderstand - but - well- we have a lot of “buts”....no place is perfect. And at least not living in VT keeps it special. Sometimes when you live somewhere you love to vacation in, it eventually becomes less special as you see more of the cons and not only the pros.

We already lived in seclusion in a rural area in NY and didn’t want that in retirement, but I guess we wanted something in between. Oh well. Too late now. We’re not moving again. We still like a lot about the area and the state in general. And we have some really nice neighbors so we’re good. With C-19 hitting a month after we moved, our first year here was actually pretty good overall- better than it would have been if we stayed in NY that’s for sure.

Last edited by map; 02-15-2021 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Addition
map is offline   Reply With Quote