View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #23
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I recently needed to anchor for 4 days in 70 feet of water and wanted to be ready for bad weather, so I added 300 feet of 8-plait rope to my 200 foot 5/16" chain anchor rode. That 8-plait rope is really cool stuff and if you are in the market for some new rope for your ground tackle, give it a look. It's very supple and does not twist in a windlass. It also lays flat in a rode locker and does not seem to have any memory. I bought it at Defender in CT, a fantastic store that's worth the drive.

I'm not a fan of double braid rope in an anchor rode, it does not have enough stretch IMO, and can transmit excessive shock loads back to the boat. I use an 8-plait snubber with a Mantus chain hook when I let out less than 200 feet of rode. It has a nice amount of stretch and softens the motion nicely.
Clearly you are using your anchor totally differently and I have no doubt your recommendations are correct for that application.

We make very limited use of an anchor, good weather daytime short duration use at sandbars and coves and thats it, no plans ever for any other anchoring with this boat.

I suppose I could find myself not prepared if I had a sudden engine or drive failure in an unexpected storm, but thats the only other case I could envision for us.

And so my selection was based on that narrow planned usage.

My next option was going to be a Digger, it looks very interesting. The only reason I didnt start with it was some reviews warned about problems with sand/dirt in the mechanism, and my planed anchoring is only in sand and mud. I still remain interested in it.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote