View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #21
XCR-700

Thumbs up

Closing the loop on this one, dug out several old anchors and bought 2 new ones.

Neither of the 2 new were recommended here, the decision to try them was based on a combination of trying what I had, some research and an interest in the odd,,,

Of the older anchors was several standard Danforth in different sizes and weights including a vinyl coated one that has never set well in the 2 boats I have tried it on. I also have one of those delta digger style anchors. Mixed results overall with my existing anchors.

The 2 new anchors were fluke slip ring style.

The first and least expensive was a Dutton-Lainson 15 E at a crazy low cost of $17.00 direct from the manufacturer. Hooked it up with ~3' of chain and 100' of 1/2' double braid rope, and once set, we didnt budge! I was surprised how well this really under whelming looking anchor held our well over 7000 LB boat.

Then I was talking to someone about the anchor I had used on my Caravelle, a Chene CH-35 saying I wish they offered a bigger version, and he said he knew they were a small company and to call them, maybe they will make a one off model. So I did and they informed me they had just introduced a new model that was the same size as the CH-35, but it was weighted on the flukes by adding extra material on top of them and it was marketed towards big tri-toons. So curiosity got the better of me and I bought one. What an odd anchor,,, But I have to say it works! At ~$80.00 I'm not sure it works better than the $17.00 Dutton-Lainson 15 E slip ring, but I never expected either to be as good as they are. At the moment I am using the Chene Tritoon anchor just because its so weird and I feel like I need something better than a $17.00 anchor to hold a 27' Formula, but in truth the damn $17.00 anchor held rock solid,,, Go figure.

Mostly anchoring at the West Alton or Paugas Bay Sandbar's or just east of Governors Island bridge, so not the most demanding test, but that what has worked best so far.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: