View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default No judgement zone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend10 View Post
How bad was the wind actually Monday 5/16? We tied our 30 foot boat up as we always do before we left on Sunday and on Wednesday found the boat broad side of our dock with the bow banging up against it (damage to both the dock and the boat) and the stern rope completely untied from the dock's post. Could the wind really have done this?
Not passing judgement on the way you tie up your boat. I have always had my boat in a marina that is somewhat sheltered from the wind (Parker's and West Alton).

I will be docking shortly in Alton Bay, exposed to wind, at a friend's dock. Because of that exposure, we will be using whips to lessen the effect of wind and wave action on the boats and the dock. We will also be using a spring line setup to keep the boats aligned with the dock while the whips take the effects of the boats doing their rock and roll thing. Not sure if you can install whips to alleviate some of what has occurred at your dock.

As far as tying to the dock, I have always done at least two half hitches around the post, but also do two half hitches around the part of the line going from the post to the boat. I have never had a line loosen on its own while doing this.

Not sure where your boat is docked, and what your exposure is, but certainly hope the damage is small and easily repaired. I can tell you that the wind was fierce on Monday, and we did have a tree behind our house get blown over (not toward the house). It was 6-8 inches in diameter, quite tall, and hopefully will make good firewood.