View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #49
ApS

Angry You're Doing It Wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
This doctor is NOT in agreement with your position. His position is that lockdown for a whole year would be catastrophic. I think we all agree with that. Here is another quote from the same article. "We either save lives by going on total lockdown or we go back to business as usual and sacrifice the lives of those most at risk."
I don't think I've actually stated my position; but you'll find me in favor of "herd immunity". National recovery starts with an 80% exposure, and that begins with the children.

What Massachusetts is doing is the exact opposite of what is needed! Did US media Panic drive their reaction?

Put K-12 back in school--now. The reason? They're that one third of the population that needs immunity by acquiring the disease. By far, they're also most likely to survive the COVID-19 flu. Remember the "German Measles" parties?

The workforce is composed of the people who drive this necessary economy and will need to shoulder this flu, just as they did in annual flus of the past.

The most endangered are those 65 and older; worse, if they have typical "co-morbidities".

They're the people who must stay in, must wash hands, and must not socialize.

Yesterday, I broke my isolation: Traffic was surprisingly busy. With only one exception, everyone was wearing masks, including all employees.

While not the best solution, I'd found a painters mask, glued a new elastic to it, and "looked the part". Pharmacies are out of antiseptics and masks. Groceries still stock no paper products.

Thinking about it later, replacement elastics could be cut from clothing to keep "outdated" masks in use.

In accord with the Florida governor's direction, a sign was posted at the grocery store saying, no one will check out without proof of residency. That, I noticed, had nobody to enforce it. This isn't the "disciplined" Japan or Germany, so they're not asking for "your papers" yet.

The formerly acceptable yellow hurricane-return window-stickers, needed to enter the county after Hurricane Irma, were discovered to be mostly forged!

New York, which "cooked their books", should wait, but expect communities to open up one-by-one. Texas and Louisiana have already started.