View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Starting Skiers from Shore or Dock

I had this conversation with the Marine Patrol a few years ago when a neighbor was taking off from the shore and dock... There are caveats in the rule that allow a skier to take off from a raft, dock or even shore. This is provided that these is no risk in doing so. Defining "Risk" is hard to do... obviously if you have to go through a mooring filed on your way to open what this would be a risk. In my situation, I saw the risk of swim rafts further out, as well as a moored sail boat. Eventually that summer the Marine Patrol did catch up with the person, and they had a discussion. As the person continues to do beach starts, my belief would be that they decided there was no risk....

Now as for people noticing that there was no observer, and as an avid water sports enthusiast. I do have to say well impressed by the video, as I think it is kind of cool. I am not impressed by the lack of consideration for safety. There should always be an observer in the boat, period... I understand the whaler only had 25 h.p. but that isn't an excuse... I used to water ski all the time, early and late into the season, and would never have left the dock with out an observer in the boat.....