Thread: Radar Useful?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #9
hewitt52

I appreciate all of the input. I think what it comes down it is trying to justify some new toys for the boat lol. Like I said, I've boated several times from Moultonborough (Balmoral) to the Town Docks in Meredith.

Funny story the first time I brought my old boat to the Lake. I had a Bizer chart and compass. I know how to read a chart and compass so I figured out I'd be good to go. It was the first time I ever had to rely on my compass however. I get out to the middle of the lake where everything looks the same. I then realize that my compass is broken. North and West worked but anything South or East it would just spin like a top.

I end up going left of an island instead of right and end up headed towards Center Harbor vs. Moultonborough. There was nobody else on the water around me to ask for my location. I finally found someone around Three Mile Island. He tells me where I am and I used the direction of the sun setting with my chart and get back just as it was getting dark. Absolutely terrifying and I got a GPS and new compass immediately after my vacation!

After that, I would use the map, compass, and my eyes primarily and the GPS as sort of insurance and (knock on wood) haven't had any issues since.
hewitt52 is offline   Reply With Quote