View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #20
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident View Post
Yup, yet another goes sideways. Seems to be the trend.
Perhaps not so much sideways but rather to the heart of the matter. The initial post in this thread evokes as much controversy as any that follow. My father too was a WW2 veteran. I suspect that while he may not have approved of a person flying the U.S. flag upside down, it would be small potatoes to what he would have disapproved over the last year. Like storming the Capitol, attacking the police defending it, all based on lies perpetrated by some very dishonest politicians and amplified by certain disingenuous media.
The right to free expression was one of the things he fought for. Sadly some in our past administration actively sought to muzzle this in the press (most recently coming to light is how the president wanted "his" justice department to stop SNL from teasing him).
I was a life long Republican who left the party after the misguided and bungled attack on Iraq by a president looking for WMD. It destabilized the entire Middle East. And now even those events seem to pale in comparison to the dishonesty and lying we are now seeing. It becomes tiresome to see people who have never opened a civics book or have even a rudimentary understanding of the constitution whining about their constitutional "rights" being violated because they can't do anything and everything they want, no matter how it affects their fellow citizens. "Me me me". I wish more people could focus on the real issues instead of getting their knickers in a twist over which bathroom someone uses or whether they are disrespecting the flag. And the referenced "America, love it or leave it" trope adds nothing meaningful to the discussion.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post: