View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #98
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac View Post
The rule is realy VERY simple. No matter what direction you are traveling in you pass on the North side and East side of a Black top and pass on the South side and the West side of Red top markers. All you need is a compass no matter which direction you are traveling. The rule is written pertaining ONLY as to which sides to pass. It is irrelevant WHAT the obstruction is or exactly where it is compared to the markers. As long as I know EXACTLY what direction I am traveling (ie compass) I can decide on which side to pass. Has never failed me in almost 30 yrs of boating.

Sorry Aqua but there are several "Ambiguous" locations around the Lake where just having a Compass will fail you and checking on the Chart will save you. Everyone should know that the Cardinal System is NOT flawless.

Depending on direction you approach there is a black Top off Treasure Isl that can confuse,

The one I love most is at FL#30 when approaching from the (Alton side) there are TWO Black Tops that greet you (one associated with the FL another about 300 yards to the North)! albeit the one on the Northern side is "Paired" with a Red Top--- Point is -- if one is not intimately familiar then you would steer incorrectly for the proper path is to keep FL#30 to your port side and the other Black Top to Starboard (actually splitting between two Black Tops) which is counter intuitive.

There are a few others but I think you get the point -- a Compass goes in hand with a CHART.