View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
chasedawg

Default Another one hits the rocks

We live in a wonderful place for the last 31 years.

We also live in an area that has some rocks that are clearly marked on all charts and has additional markers defining the "do not navigate" area. Oh I might add that it is a No wake Zone (NWZ) besides!

But each year we witness so many people having no clue what the markers mean and just barrel through and slam into the rocks. We see it coming and start asking each other are they going to hit the rocks. We usually run out to forewarn them but most times it is too late. So we jump in our boat and cruise out to them to see if we can help.

It happened several times last week and again today. Go figure. Last week there was this high performance beautiful Formula that was cruising through not paying attention and then boom bang, thud, and another sickening thud. They all stopped and looked around to see what caused the last "thud. Then they try and start their engine and try move forward hoping that knowing happened.

After they raise their stern drives they say "Oh Sucks...Darn.. I should have known better". (Yea sure they say that) The high performance Formula owner tried to put his twin engines in gear one at a time. The first engine reved up like it was in neutral. Oops what does that mean? You guessed it.... no prop. He decided to swim out over the rocks to see if he could find his $1200 high performance stainless prop. No luck.

I went over to see if I could help. I suggested he should check his engine compartment for any kind of leakage. I asked how could I help. He said no problem I will run on one engine back. Well back meant 10 miles back to his marina. In this case I learned that his brother in law was driving the boat and had little or no experience or not even a lic.... you guessed it.

Then today, my wife saw a boat with a couple of gals coming through the NWZ bow way up in the air. Huge wake and heading for the rocks again. She ran out to the dock! But too late another Bang, thud, another thud and then silence. Then a scream....OH No! my husband is going to..... me.

A rock collision last year, I really felt sorry for the driver of the boat. I again saw it was going to happen. It is a sickening sound again...thud, boom, thud and then silence. We run out again to see who it was this time. It was four young late teen girls. I went out to help them. I towed their boat over to our dock and helped check out their engine and lower unit. It didn't look good. The lower unit and prop were a mess. My wife offered to take them to the nearest marina or if they wanted to use our phone to call home. The girl diving the boat said...OH NO....I Can't CALL Home. MY dad will .....you fill in the blanks. We asked why and she said his boat just got fixed and put back in the water because I did the SAME THING last weekend! Scream and tears!....Oh No I understand. I feel so bad for you.

This past week we counted on average four boats hitting the rocks. and get this! There is a huge sign that says caution "LOON CHICKS".
every boat has headed for the LOON CHICK sign and the hit the rocks. Go figure!

WE try to help as much as we can....BUT IT will never end. We see people holding up their charts and we think they will be OK. But no... they still hit the rocks.

What is the problem with these people. We just hate to see them have a awful day when we hear the sound. We wish we could help but it is always too late.

All I can say is please people look at your chart and understand what it means and GO SLOW and PAY ATTENTION!

Fair winds.....and Happy sailing!

Chasedawg
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post: