View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

For the capitalist who has funds to invest in industries calling for sober and reliable employees and requiring plenty of cheap power under moderate taxation Meredith opens an inviting field. The temper of the situation will be found exceedingly congenial and the local encouragements many and valuable.

And especially for the energetic hotel manager, who knows how to exploit the natural advantages of climate and scenery, Meredith is a garden of opportunities. The visiting public has learned to love this ideal country town. In growing numbers it comes this way. Summer boarders now are more numerous than comfortable accommodations. All available houses are open and the demand outruns the supply. Were attractive quarters more abundant the tide of travel would set this way in still larger proportions. There are admirable locations awaiting occupation equaling attractiveness anything in all the eastern states. To be convinced of this fact one needs but to come and see.

And so indeed, regarding all her claims, Meredith invites a critical inspection on the ground. So certain is she that the attractions she has to offer are of convincing value that she confidently awaits the judgement of those who come to examine for themselves.

As one of her poets has musically sung, it is here especially true in the perfect hours of summer time that,

“Soft the song the leaves are singing,
Tufted is the waving grass;
Butterflies, like air flowers, winging.
Where the earth flowers may not pass.
Golden cups, the crowfoot swaying,
Catch the sunshine and the dew;
Balmy zephyrs, gently playing,
Coy and blushing roses woo.
Cool the tents, the elm trees spreading
Forth their grateful leaf shade make;
Witching beams, the bright moon shedding,
All the sleeping fairies wake.”

The Meredith Board of Trade was organized June, 1909, and numbers among its members most of the business and professional men in town. Any who are interested in Meredith are cordially invited to join. The organization is prepared to furnish detailed information concerning real estate, hotel sites, manufacturing opportunities, etc., and invites correspondence. The officers are Sameul A. Burleigh, president; Charles I. Swain, secretary; Fred M. Weeks, treasurer; S.A. Burleigh, C.I. Swain, F.M. Weeks, E.C. Mansfield, C.N. Roberts, G. Pynn, A.S. Clough, D.E. Eaton, executive committee.

"Editor's" Note - Most black and white images came with the booklet. I've added the colored postcard images. Many Thanks to Lakehouse for lending me this brochure to share on the forum. McD

Last edited by mcdude; 06-03-2005 at 06:20 AM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post: