View Single Post
Old 07-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #16
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention, the only reason my Solar has as good an ROI as it does is because of the SREC incentives. If I purchased today it would take 10 years or more to break even. You’d really have to be a poor investor to not double your money in 10 years in the stock market. I’m not saying Solar is not worth doing. I’m arguing your misleading comment that you’ll do 2x stock market by investing in solar. I did it primarily for the environment. Just as I have by investing in EV. Financially, long term you’d do better in the stock market on either.
You do not seem to understand either the stock market or solar.

The average return on the stock market is 7-8% per year. (You need to look over several decades.) As I noted before, the return on solar is often over >15%. This is 2X. But as I noted before, bonds are more similar in risk.

It is true that solar returns depend on various government incentives such as SREC, and SREC no longer exists. SREC has been replaced by SMART. In both of these programs, your local utility is paying you to generate power, at least in Mass.

Also as I posted before--people interested in solar should phone or email a local installer and ask what the numbers would be for their own home. The installer should be able to show you how your roof and various tax incentives work for your exact situation.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote