View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
loopcharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
To me, I think moist restoration shops focus on either wood or fiberglass, not both. Again, to me, you restore wooden boats and rehab fiberglass boats that have been neglected; new canvas, upholstery, detailing, etc. Not the same as replacing planks. You can restore a wooden hull. When a fiberglass hull fails, it is very rare that anyone would restore it.
If the owner loves the boat and it is no longer in production, rehab/restore. Boating magazines are full of ads that say something like "1959 CC Capri, recent $50K restoration. Show winner. Asking $28,000."
For marketing restoration services, I think doing some collaboration with owners to campaign their boats on the appropriate show circuit would build your reputation.
We restore what ever our customers want restored, bikes, boats, can openers, doesn't matter to us as we have been restoring various machines for many years. We do restoration work on wood boats, however there is never any "return" as the restoration costs typically run at 3 times what Haggerty will insure them for.
loopcharged is offline   Reply With Quote