View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #45
Rich

Congresswoman Shea-Porter isn't quite on the same page. Her reply is a bit different:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1462, the Renewable Fuel Standard Reform Act. I appreciate your thoughts on this issue and welcome the opportunity to respond.

I agree with you that the guidelines set by the 2007 Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) may produce gasoline that is unsafe for many motor vehicles. I was encouraged when the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the agency tasked with overseeing the implementation of the RFS, released new regulations in November of 2013 that will lower the minimum biofuel production requirements. By lowering the minimum requirement, gasoline producers will not need to introduce high-ethanol content gasoline beyond the E10 fuel that is currently considered safe for most four-stroke engines.

While I support the provisions in H.R. 1462 that would ease the unrealistic expectations for biofuel production, I would not support the section of this legislation prohibiting any gasoline that has an ethanol rating higher than E10. Though I agree that a higher rating should not be mandatory, many newer vehicles and "flex-fuel" engines operate safely on higher-rated gasoline. Owners of these vehicles should be able to purchase E15-E85 fuel. The EPA has a set of mandatory guidelines that includes prominent warning labels and dedicated fueling hoses to prevent misfueling, and so this option can safely be made available to those who wish to purchase this fuel.

H.R. 1462 was referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee. While I am not a member of this committee, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind should this legislation come to a vote in the House of Representatives.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post: