Thread: Vaccinations
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #276
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
I am happy for you and your fellow teachers think so please do not take this personal, just food for thought here. 95 percent of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have occurred among people who were 50 or older. This even though the majority of coronavirus cases have been reported in people under age 50. That is from AARP.

So more people under age 50 get infected but the number of deaths drops significantly below 50. I ask why do we as a society place a teacher who is 30, 35, 40, 45 years old etc... in line for the vaccine in front of a non teacher who is 50+ and has a greater chance to succumb to this virus if infected? I realize getting the kids back in school is important but is it more important than saving lives of older people? Could those teacher CVS shots been better allocated? Look forward to responses.
Fair question, for sure. As I see it, there are two reasons. First, the numbers of people I will protect by being vaccinated is much higher than young(er) groups that either work remotely or see fewer people. For example, on a given day I'm exposed to at least 45 people directly and up to 600 indirectly. My 50-year-old friend working remotely is exposed to zero. When he goes into work with the skeleton crew, he's exposed to, at most, four or five.

The second is the impact that remote schooling has had on many children. In-short, it's horrible for social and emotional health. The quickest and safest way to get back to the classroom is through school personnel vaccination (don't forget bus drivers, custodians, etc.).

EDIT: after writing my response, I happened upon this: https://www.edweek.org/teaching-lear...accine/2021/02

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by thinkxingu; 03-09-2021 at 06:49 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: