View Single Post
Old 07-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #65
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Lifetime shorefront residence of the lake, I can tell you my observance. Early years before McMansions and Mcyachts, boaters and landowners had a peaceful existence. Landowners accept the fact the boaters have the right to common sense use of the lake. Watersports at sunrise and sunset were considered normal. Small loud race boats were also the norm. A loud rafting party that pops up on weekends was also tolerated. We accept that as part of the use for the right to live on the lake. Even neighborhoods had block parties where we get to socialize and know each other. The kids get to play outside together. During the waterski racing era, Neighborhoods would form a race team to participate. Allowing distant neighbors to know each other.

Today this is all gone. A great reason for the family to move to Winnisquam.
Good post! I do agree with most of what you said...

As someone who remembers the lake as a kid in the 60's and 70's, waterskiing and louder race boats (now called classics!) were definitely more prevalent and totally accepted back then. They were fun to watch and would bring in crowds of people as spectators.

You would NEVER hear anyone complain about water skiers or those loud beautiful classic race boats as they were a sight to see and watch!

There was also a very active runway with planes taking off on Wolfeboro neck and those planes were loud but no one ever complained about them actually quite the opposite most would love to see them land and takeoff!

Back then there were no "wake boats", no 1000 watt stereo systems and the lake is much busier with boaters from all over New England. Add this to a much less tolerant and disrespectful society and you have what we have today...Unfortunately this was created by us....

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-14-2022 at 11:20 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post: