View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #37
sa meredith

Default Maybe I can help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post
It's been a while but I know I entered from the Southwest side, don't have a map in front of me, but the lighted buoy closer to Governers Island. At the time there were two of us and I had a 16' bass boat with the outboard trimmed completely out of the water, trolled in with the electric trolling motor, we were able to easily navigate in and achor off, honestly can't remember how deep it was where we achored. Must have been later in the season, I remember the rocks being significantly above water in some places.

Not trying to make it sound like a no-brainer or caution is not needed, definitely have to be carefull, helps to have a buddy. We had a good day and a good boat to do it with, worked out, and satisfied my curiosity too.
I can never imagine WANTING to go back in there...I guess snorkling would be interesting, but I think I would find it tough to get comfortable in an area that you are condition to fear.
I'll say this..there were areas (on the side I visited) where could probably have jumped from rock to rock over a distance of 20/25 feet , without swimming. All rocks looked to be just inches below....I never really gave the depth finder a look (it was clear I was not in enough water, hahaha).
Honestly, it was just an eery eery place to be. Here's an analogy...Someone may attend their first open casket funeral, and find it strange being aroung a dead body, but not that hard to deal with. But now, their first trip to a morgue, with dead bodies everywhere...a very different thing...not normal to see. Not trying to be funny...I think this analogy works well. One rock with a single marker? OK. But dozens upon dozens of boulders??? While in a 24' boat? I'll pass (or crash).
Anyway, if you do go snorkelling there, be careful...I puked in the water!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote