View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I suppose it depends on the business but I think most of us are open according to when we do the most business. If you lose money staying open late at night or on a Sat afternoon or Sunday, then it just doesn't make sense to do so. We lose money every Sat we are open but continue to do so for the convenience of those who only have weekends off.
I'm sorry to hear that you lose money every Saturday, but I bet folks like me are the reason why. I'm unwilling to leave the lake during one of my precious two days in Moultonborough.

As I'm driving there from the south on a Friday night, I do sometimes wonder why some businesses don't stay open later on a Thursday or Friday evening. There's a place in Meredith called Lavender Blue that I'd love to stop into if they were open past 5 pm. According to their website, "We are open year round. Late May through December we are open 7 days a week, usually 10am – 5pm (later in Summer months). January through May we are open Thursday through Sunday, 10am – 5pm. Our Website is open 24/7, 365 days a year!" It's not on their marquee that they're currently open late.

I worked retail during high school and college, and yes, the MA Blue Laws were still in effect. I loved having a guaranteed day off (Sunday). Even in those days, though, retail shops in tourist areas were allowed to open on Sundays. One has to make hay while the sun shines; and if you choose to be in a business that the most opportune time to make money is while other folks are enjoying time off, then it is what it is.