View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #19
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
A thread hijack for an early launch story:

A long time ago in a state not so far away...

My buddy and I headed out in my 12' aluminum boat for some ice off fishing. We launched and motored for a cove that would deliver the action. Upon reaching the entrance to the cove we found a barrier of ice that looked impassable. Not wanting to fish non productive areas we decided to use our mighty craft as an ice breaker. We powered the forward half of the boat onto the ice. Rocking the boat broke the ice and we continued into the cove for a slammer day of fishing.

On our return a week later we brought a third guy. Having had previous success with our technique, we briskly approached the ice. We expected a climb onto the ice with a fast, three guy induced break up.

That's not what happened!

With three guys the boat sat lower in the water. The bow hit the ice directly rather than climbing up onto it. Very cold water started pouring in fast enough to require bailing all the way back to the launch.

The moral to this story? It was the third guy's fault!
Yeah I got stuck having to do that last year - wasn't fun trying to break through the ice to get to open water. Won't pull a stunt like that again.
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote