View Single Post
Old 03-06-2023, 08:46 AM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
For what its worth - everyone has an opinion but here are some dealers that sell US Mint products - the most liquid silver is either US Silver Eagles or US Gold Eagles - they are also commanding the highest premium over spot right now than most other products which reflects the demand for these product and its liquidity. There are a few dealers that sell US Mint products, this is only a short list.

IME gold (I don't have silver data) Eagles sold for about 4-5% over spot before the pandemic, then folks started to talk about the end of days and such and the premium has soared to around 8%, many folks expected this to be short lived but it has endured, there is finally some showing of lessening of demand as shown by the dropping prices of the dealers that are buying back Eagles. It hasn't really shown up in the retail market and its near impossible to time the market but just thought I would share.

Here are some dealers:

APMEX
MCM
SD Bullion
Pinehurst
JM Bullion

This is far from exhaustive but I've used APMEX extensively.

The other benefit of Eagles is the risk of fraud is much lower when you buy from one of the US Mint dealers.

As I said, everyone will have an opinion but for liquidity and such US Eagles (Gold and Silver) are the way to go. They also have set production numbers and some years have appreciated far more than spot, in other words you may have numismatic value (see 1996 Silver Eagles)

Best
The problem I have with eagles especially silver eagles is they are selling for 50% over spot price which is ridiculous in my opinion. If and when the sh*t hits the fan and if our dollar should ever collapse, that 1 oz silver eagle will have no more value than a 1 oz silver ingot... At least gold eagles are selling for on average 8-9% over spot which is much more tolerable.

I think precious metal investors need to ask themselves why are they buying...is it to use as a hedge against inflation therefore somewhat short term?...is it you believe doomsday is coming and our dollar will eventually collapse?...or are you doing it as a long term investment strategy?...

Silver is a very scary investment to me as the lows and highs are way more drastic than gold on a percentage basis. Gold not so much as it has been around since ancient Egypt and before as a source of money and bartering and has always held its own in the long term...

Just my thoughts...

Dan