View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #10
SailinAway

This poll is a bit disconnected from reality. It needs the following additional options:

(X) I know someone who has COVID-19.

( ) I have been diagnosed with COVID-19.

( ) I know someone who died of COVID-19.

(X) I or someone I know couldn't get treatment for another urgent illness due to hospitals overrun with COVID-19 cases.

(X) I know someone who died because they couldn't get treatment for another illness due to COVID-19.

(X) I had to postpone elective surgery due to COVID-19.

I've checked four of the above. COVID-19 has impacted me in other ways. Many of my clients are in New York City and China. A friend in France is at great risk because she needs radiation therapy for stage IV cancer. Another friend is on lockdown in Germany. I thank God I procrastinated about elective surgery because my aftercare would have put me in danger. If you don't feel impacted by COVID-19 you must be living in some kind of really small local bubble, or a mental bubble.

People who are fixated on the low number of cases in New Hampshire aren't seeing the bigger picture of the pandemic. This is surprising, when you look at the big red dot on the virus map at https://www.nytimes.com/ We are on the fringe of the expanding epicenter. The main error of our government has been its failure to act until forced to, and to deny the reality of the crisis. It's the same with people who don't see the need for social distancing and closing businesses in New Hampshire: by the time you realize that yes, YOU are in a pandemic, it will be too late. Same for those who keep comparing COVID-19 to H1N1 etc: by the time you realize that this is very different, it will be too late. The way this poll was phrased reflects denial of the severity of the situation.

Last edited by SailinAway; 03-29-2020 at 12:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post: