View Single Post
Old 12-11-2022, 10:42 AM   #20
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm mystified here.
1. If I drain the pipes (radiators, baseboards, whatever) how will I keep the heat on at 50 F?
2. If I don't drain, and keep the heat at 50F I'd guess I could easily use 300-400 gallons of oil at say $6.gallon. Let's be generous and say 150 gallons, I can get the ceiling patched/painted for les than $200.
3. If I keep the heat on, I probably have to pay somebody, or get a neighbor, to watch things to make sure the heat doesn't fail (run out of fuel?) And, what if electricity is off for several days? The pipes can freeze anyway.
I agree.

I think it boils down to this ... it's preferable from a structural point of view to keep heat on at a low level. The expand/contract issues of a structure that chills to zero or below in winter at times are real. But, the real world cost of heating through the winter is at a different level than just a few years ago. Like Descant said, you're burning $6 oil. I don't know of any place that can do that with less than 300 or so gallons, likely more given that our summer places are not generally well insulated. I totally get why so many people drain down rather than heat. We did for many years, only in recent years are keeping it open since more people are able to use it in winter now.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote