View Single Post
Old 12-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #7
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Every year this topic comes up, and every year people relate their horror or success stories. But in one of the above posts there is mention of a gentleman up on stilts patching the ceiling. This has nothing to do with draining pipes, but everything to do with with the whole house getting too cold and the sheetrock reacting to stress. It is not an exact comparison of apples-to-apples, but sheetrock eventually succumbs to constant cold and will crack. Draining the pipes AND keeping the heat on at a low setting will probably solve both issues. The cost off the extra fuel to keep a house at a low temperature during the winter is significantly less than the cost of the repairs necessary when you try to DIY and cut corners. For homeowners who aren't able to monitor (electronically) their house, contract with a property management company for periodic checks. This is money well spent. I am not trying to spend other people's money, not tell them how to manage their house, but by following my own rules I have successfully managed my own house for many years.
My impression of his remarks regarding patching the ceiling was that a pipe needed repair and it was in the space above the ceiling…..