View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

In my observations over the years, one of the problems Marina's face with "bubblers" is all the variables involved in proper operation. While it seems simple enough, when used on a large scale they really need to be managed. As you scale down to personal homeowner use the management become less of a concern.

Where I see problems occur, is where the "Automated" set it and forget it approach is used. Often turning on the "Bubblers" mechanism for periods of time which are too long for the conditions.... This is particularly true in cases where the system is automated by single source air temperature switch. Unknowing, the user puts the temperature control device in a location, where it is shaded, and doesn't feel the effects of rising temperature during the day the way it should, leading to extended running of the system... But there are other ways the Automated approach can get screwed up too.

Some level of automation is needed, and I get that... But particularly a business like a marina, should be monitoring system performance at regular intervals.... And with the inventions of web cams, and devices which can control the availability of electricity to said devices remotely, there is no reason, for homeowners to not be checking on there system with regularity.
Have a wemo switch before a temperature activity switch comes to my mind, for the home owner as being an easy solution.

With all that said, all the "bubblers" do is protect the structure as the ice forms...... When the ice breaks up the only protection, is what mother nature provides....because the wind and water currents are going to take the ice where ever it wants to.....